If you’re new to cannabis use, either recreationally or medically, you’ll find a small array of tools will help you maximize your enjoyment of this rewarding activity. Most of the following items can be found easily and cheaply at your local drugstore, hardware store, dispensary/head shop or ordered online.
- Cannabis Storage: The first and most critical item for any cannabis user is proper storage. Without it, your cannabis is at risk for mold or drying out and destroying all the wonderful terpenes.
Glass: Airtight glass storage jars are plentiful and can be found anywhere from the hardware store to mass retailers. They are attractive, allow you to see how much cannabis you have left and come in all sizes and shapes. It’s important to remember that when it comes to cannabis, light is the enemy. If you choose glass jars, be sure to keep them in a cupboard or other dark, cool area where they’re not exposed to light. Even indirectly, sunlight destroys the flavor and dries out your bud.
Metal: Airtight metal containers are another good choice. They come in a variety of sizes and there’s no danger of sunlight exposure, but they also cost more than glass.
Silicone: Silicone is becoming more popular and comes in a rainbow of colors. It is not recommended to store cannabis in plastic for anything other than short term storage (transportation, for example). Plastic can hold a static charge that can destroy precious trichomes. Silicone is a safer choice.
Pro Tip: Store all your strains separately to keep unique flavor profiles true.
- Scrapers & Pokers: Unless you only smoke joints, you’re going to need a multipurpose poker and/or scraper. Use them to clean burnt residue from your pipe or vaporizer when you load a fresh bowl. Burnt material leaves a nasty, acrid taste that can ruin a fresh, flavorful smoke. Never expose stored cannabis to burnt residue, either from roaches or pipes. It can ruin the flavor. If you use a vaporizer, you’ll need something to scrape the material out of the chamber that won’t damage it. Most vaporizers come with the tools required to clean them, however these tend to get lost, so it’s nice to have extra on hand. Ideally, a thin bowl scraper and a broader tamper will suffice. You can find glass pokers, metal multi-tools and more anywhere from Amazon.com to your local pipe shop.
Pro Tip: Clean your materials frequently. Clean bowls and parts will vastly improve the flavor of your cannabis.
Grinder: Grinders reduce buds into shredded material suitable for rolling into joints or filling vaporizer chambers. They come in all colors and sizes. It’s recommended to choose a size suitable for the amount of cannabis you consume. Small grinders may seem adorable, more affordable or more practical for space, but if you’re grinding often or rolling fat jays that require a lot of cannabis, they quickly become a nuisance.
Pro Tip: Splurge on a sturdy metal grinder. The teeth remain sharp even with heavy use and they’re easy to clean with Iso.
- Isopropyl Alcohol: Iso comes in handy for cleaning sticky cannabis residue. The higher the percentage, the more power it has. Use 91% or higher. Place the items you want to clean in a glass dish or sealable plastic bag, fill with enough rubbing alcohol to cover them and allow them to soak for a couple of hours. Once removed, use a Q-tip and/or pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol to clean hard to reach areas like threading and stubborn spots. Give it a quick rinse in warm water and allow to dry. Pick some up at the drugstore or online for about a buck.
Pro Tip: Out of Iso? Put your gear in a plastic bag and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Once removed, the material should flake off. Scrub crevices with a clean toothbrush.
- Lighter/Torch: Depending on the type of cannabis consumption you’re doing a lighter or small torch will come in handy. Torches are preferred if you enjoy concentrates and dabbing. For more people, a regular lighter available at any convenience store is suitable.
Pro Tip: To quickly and safely clean concentrate out of a vape attachment, gently use a hairdryer from a distance to warm the concentrate residue until it liquefies and you can easily remove it.
- Eye drops – for red, tired eyes
- Bowl saver – small rubber band that fits over your pipe bowl
- Hemp wick – avoid inhaling butane
- Rolling papers
- Rolling machine – unless you’ve mastered rolling, this comes in handy
- Roach clip
- Incense or air freshener
Looking for cannabis accessories and other cool goodies? Check out www.ShopMarijuana.com!